New GRE 2011
New GRE Coming 2011
Join the new GRE 2011 conversation – Facebook page
It’s been a long time coming. In 2004 GRE announced changes to take effect in 2006. In 2006 they announced the changes were to take place in 2007. In 2007 the proposed changes to the GRE were cancelled.
Now GRE has annouced a revised GRE to take effect in 2011. The information from GRE includes a “slick video”. It appears that the changes are going to be pretty much the same as the changes which were proposed for 2007.
New GRE Highlights – The Three Sections: Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing Remain
– no more antonyms and analogies and a statement that vocabulary will no longer be tested;
– more reading and reasoning questions
– calculators allowed
– questions that test reasoning skills and not memorization (does that mean that the basic math formulas will become irrelevant?
Analytical Writing Changes
– less clear
General Test Changes
– the scoring scale will be changed to a 130 – 170 scoring scale
– test takers are no longer required to answer the questions in order (presumably the test will not be computer adaptive)
It appears that the revised GRE of 2011 will incorporate most of the changes that were proposed to take effect in 2011. Check out our comments about the 2007 GRE – it appears that most of them still apply.